Babies make you hungry, but for most new moms, it’s hard to find time to sit down to three hot meals a day. Snacks are going to become life sustaining, and it’s important that you’re able to eat them with one hand! Why? Because you’re not going to want to put your beautiful baby down, or they won’t want you to put them down. Either way, lots of holding is going to happen, and you need at least one arm and hand for that.
Before baby arrives, start stocking your pantry and refrigerator with groceries for easy one-handed snacks and meals! Here are a few of my favorite postpartum foods.
Peanut Butter Pancake Tacos
- 2 frozen pancakes
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 banana, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Heat up the pancakes, then spread a generous layer of peanut butter on top of each.
- Top with the sliced bananas and mini chocolate chips. Fold in half, like a taco.
Related: 50 Gift Ideas For First Time Moms
Egg & Veggie Burritos
- 1 flour tortilla
- 2 eggs, scrambled
- 1 cup fresh spinach, sautéed until wilted
- 2 slices roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese (see tip)
- Put the tortilla on a plate. Top with the scrambled eggs.
- Add the spinach and roasted red peppers, and sprinkle with the goat cheese crumbles. Fold into a burrito.
Tip: Some moms choose to limit their dairy intake while breastfeeding, especially during the first couple of months, in case their baby is lactose intolerant. Goat cheese doesn’t have the same proteins as cow’s milk, so it can be a good substitute when you’re missing Cheddar.
Ham & Egg Cups
- Baking spray
- 6 to 12 slices deli ham
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup fresh spinach (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheese, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400?. Coat the cups of a muffin pan with baking spray. Press 1 slice of ham into each muffin cup (2 slices if very thin).
- Crack 1 egg into each cup. Top with the fresh spinach (if using).
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the eggs are as done as you’d like them. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then use a butter knife to loosen each cup and pop the ham and egg cups out of the muffin tin.
Other One-Handed Meal and Snack Ideas
- Grilled cheese sandwiches
- Cheese sticks
- Dried fruit
- Prosciutto-wrapped melon slices
- Breakfast bars
- Oatmeal cookies (oatmeal is great for your milk supply!)
- Yogurt in a tube
- Meat pies or empanadas
- Bagels and cream cheese
Looking for some more recipe inspiration? Try these!
- 4 Healthy Smoothie Recipes for Moms & Kids via Modern Parents Messy Kids
- No-Bake Lactation Bites via The BakerMama
- Healthy Five-Ingredient Granola Bars via Minimalist Baker
- Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas via Tastes Better From Scratch
- Loaded Caprese Grilled Cheese via Pinch of Yum