In the beginning, before she settled into her routine, before I FINALLY began to believe she’s a “good baby,” we had some rough nights. Mainly, her days and nights were mixed up and we discovered that, like her brother, she had to be bounced to sleep. Not rocked, not soothed by the “calming vibrations” of her bouncy chair, but straight up (literally up and down) BOUNCED to sleep.
And so, like the one that came before her, we would lay awake at night, bouncy chair between us in bed, taking turns… bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, zzzzzzz…. huh?? wha?? I’m awake, I’m awake, shhhhhh, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, zzzzz….
And on. And on.
One particularly exhausting night as I tried to keep myself awake enough to maintain a steady enough bounce to send her off into dreamland, I fantasized of this fantastic product I’d seen in the baby store months prior. A product I’d, admittedly, declared to be “excessive” before having her. I was dreaming of the mamaRoo by 4moms. Suddenly, I saw it in a new light. I remembered it’s motions, unlike a swing, were up and down, not back and forth and not side to side. I wanted it more than a turtle cheesecake with a bottle of wine on the side, and it no longer seemed excessive to me.
I was fortunate to receive one to review (sent to me at no cost by 4moms) shortly after I sent out a few inquisitive, slightly desperate tweets in the wee hours of the morning. We’ve been using it for about 2 months now, and it’s made a nice addition to our home, though I must say it never has bounced her to sleep like I was hoping. That said, it wasn’t a huge issue. She started sleeping through the night around the time we received it, and it has been a nice alternative to our swing.
What I love:
1. It plugs in! That may seem like a silly thing to love, but our swing eats batteries like crazy. I love that this thing plugs in.
2. It looks great. The mamaRoo doesn’t scream “baby in the house!” when you see it. In fact, our’s sort of just blends in with the background of our house.
3. You can position it to sit baby more upright as they get older. It’s great for Leyna now. She’s eye to eye with Kendall when she sits in it.
4. There are so many combos of movements and speeds and noises (yeah, it plays different noises, too!). I fiddled with it to find the right rhythm for Leyna. She’s usually happiest when it’s set to the kangaroo motion at full speed with the airplane sound playing.
5. It connects to an MP3 player. We played some Rockabye tunes for her on it that she seemed to enjoy jamming out to. This thing definitely has a high-tech edge.
1. Unfortunately, I just don’t think it moves fast enough to calm my babies and put them to sleep. Just like with Kendall, Leyna prefers to be vigorously and quickly bounced, so I can’t put her in the mamaRoo when she’s fussy, expecting it to help soothe her. However, she will happily sit in it while I get a load of dishes done or get Kendall ready for school if she’s already in a pretty good/not sleepy mood.
2. The fabric, while washable and easy to detach and re-attach, is not as soft as I’d like it. On one hand, I know that it’s very easy to clean and durable, but on the other, it would be nice if it were softer. Not a huge deal, though. I’ve laid soft, thin blankets on top of the seat before placing Leyna in it and that seemed to work great.
3. I would love to see a mirror of some sort on the detachable mobile. Leyna’s been fascinated by mirrors for the last month and she loves gazing at the one at the top of her swing. She doesn’t seem all that into the colorful balls on the mamaRoo.
All in all, though, not a bad piece of baby stuff at all. I’m very happy we have it, even if just to use it for enough time every day to get dishes done. I take back my “excessive” comment.
Now, for the fun part. 4moms is giving one mamaRoo to one of you! Here’s how to enter:
You MUST do this one-
1. Visit the 4moms website and tell me what color mamaRoo would look best in your home
Then you can do any and/or all of the following for extra entries-
2. Like 4moms on Facebook
3. Follow 4moms on Twitter
4. Become a 4moms Insider
5. Like Baby Rabies on Facebook
Please leave separate comments for each entry.
This contest is open to US addresses only, no PO boxes. I will draw a winner using Random.org on Monday, April 4th. Remember I moderate comments. If yours doesn’t show up right away, give it a few hours before trying again.
Disclosure- 4moms sent the mamaRoo to me at no cost for review. I was not compensated monetarily for this post and all opinions are my own.
Entries are closed. Congrats to commenter #93, Amy, chosen by Random.org.